Tuesday, February 17, 2009

First Post

My first post here is a repost from my Facebook page.

I was born deaf from medicine my mom took during pregnancy. They didn't know at the time but the drugs she took were ototoxic to the fetus. I have a severe to profound loss, and have enjoyed relative success being auditory with the use of hearing aids. I have been having more difficulty lately and a recent test confirmed a continued erosion of my hearing. The audiologist asked me if I had considered a Cochlear Implant (CI). I had, about 7 years ago, for my left ear which is just about stone deaf, but decided to wait for technology and medicine to advance. The audiologist did mention that insurance will usually cover it, removing one of my primary concerns. He also promised to email me more information. A few days later, he sent information on a seminar just days away.

I was busy at work, and debated taking the time off to go. I clung to the notion that I could still wait for technology to advance. But my eroding hearing changed the equation. Perhaps I had waited long enough. I went to the seminar. It was very informative, and there was one CI recipient there who astounded me with her story and her ability to hear someone without reading lips.

Now I have an appointment for a candidacy assessment. There are certain criteria for determining candidacy, and the audiologist will evaluate me against those criteria. CIs have progressed to the point where people who receive them do very, very well. If I can hear with it like the average recipient, I will hear better than I can ever remember. I am still anxious about my future but I have a lot of optimism and hope for what may come.

No comments:

Post a Comment